For those of you who don’t know, I am currently studying business at Memorial University. This means that I have both group work and presentations coming out of my ears. As much of a pain both of these can be, I find that they have taught me the most since starting my degree.
On a related note, since I have started giving presentations I’ve realized how small of a professional wardrobe I have. I also realized that I don’t have a pair of dress pants to my name. I know, I know, what kind of a business student doesn’t own a pair of slacks?!
So, I figured that dress pants might be a nice project for me to take on. I knew from the get go it was going to be difficult, simply because pants have soooo many different components.
I used the Sewaholic Thurlow Trouser pattern, and my fabric was a grey wool blend from Fabricville. I also used a pink lining material for the inside of the waistband.
Overall, the process took a long time, but it went relatively smoothly. I had some minor fitting issues, but after taking in some excess butt fabric, the pants looked great! This pattern uses welts as the back pockets. Adding the welts was probably the most time consuming step, as they require you to cut into your pant fabric, and I wanted to make sure my cuts were as exact as possible.
Now I officially have the beginnings of a professional wardrobe! Yahoo!
I know it’s only March, and I know winter is far from over, but I’m so excited for spring. I’ve got some awesome warm weather patterns picked out, and I can’t wait to be able to whip ’em out!